DEADLINE REACHED — WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW FOOTAGE.
Thank you! Release date is March 1st.
We are making a video for Rise of a Digital Nation and we want you to be in it.
Here’s the idea
The song is about those of us who feel a sense of community and belonging online, who care about our online existence and the freedom and possibilities it provides. Those of us who want to defend what we have.
We want you to star in this video because this song is meant to be your voice.
- Each individual records themselves (alone or with friends) singing or playing an instrument and totally rocking out to the song “Rise of a Digital Nation”.
- Record one full length of the song, no more, no less.
- You do not have to include audio, only the visuals will be used.
- You can be in your room or anywhere, and do whatever you want, and you can edit the content if you’re in several locations or want to use the best from several takes, as long as the end result is completely synced with the song.
- BONUS: If you can capture some local landmark or a flag in the background then we can truly show that we are united by heart even though we are far apart.
- In parts without vocals, if you’re singing otherwise, rock out and go crazy. The more you do, the better it will look – don’t be afraid or embarrassed, anything that doesn’t look good won’t be included (but try to make it look good, ok?).
- What is “good”? It’s also supposed to look like real people being real, so keep that in mind… Reality is good – it is the Rise of a Digital Nation.
- Try to not go below 720p in video quality mkthx. Preferable file formats are .mov or .mp4 (h264 for example).
- IMPORTANT: Record in landscape (wide), not portrait (tall/”facetime”) mode!
Your clips are delivered to email@example.com (using sprend, wetransfer, dropbox, whatever means you prefer) and we will edit it all together and post-produce it. What shows up where will be decided by us, but our main goal is to show a lot of people that are totally into the song and its message.
Extra points for
- Trinity logo
- Anarchist symbol
- Black Flag
- Guy Fawkes mask
- Fish-eye or wide-angel lens on camera
- Local (and internationally known) landmark as backdrop
Creativity will be rewarded.
There is no deadline. We will gather received video clips as they come in until we feel we have enough, then it’s done.
Some obvious questions
Q: Eh, lyrics?
A: Right. Here: http://machinaesupremacy.com/lyrics/rise-of-a-digital-nation/
Q: Eh, tabs?
A: Sorry, we don’t have anything like that, but remember, we will only use the video, not audio, so whether you play the song correctly or not does not matter, as long as it matches with the music rhythmically.
Q: What will I do if I’m singing and sometimes there are no vocals?
A: Rock out. Thrash your room. Spray paint a wall with “Rise of a Digital Nation”. Stand in front of local monuments and do the peace sign. Show your MaSu tat. Smash your keyboard… Anything you can think of that adds energy or meaning to the music.
Q: What about camera equipment?
A: Use what you have. We’d love it if you can get some fish-eye or wide-angle lens action going on (GoPro or somesuch) but if you can’t that’s fine too. The video is supposed to feature reality through whatever lens you have available.
Q: Do I have to do it all in one take?
A: No, you can do as many as you like and cut them together. Just as long as it matches the full length of the song, and is synced with the music.
Q: What do you mean, “rock out”? What am I supposed to DO in the video?
A: I mean, go nuts, do what you would do in a mosh pit for lack of a better description. When singing you are probably more static but entering and exiting sentences you should emphasize that by moving, and moving is also good when there is no singing. If all else fails, headbang.
Q: When’s the deadline?
A: There is currently no deadline. The video will be done when we feel we have enough takes. Don’t wait too long to submit though.
Q: Can I do-over, I realized my old take wasn’t any good?
A: Absolutely. Just send the new one.
Q: Got any examples?
A: Yes. Here are some stills of what people have sent in so far:
Don’t chicken out this time. Be a part of the Rise of a Digital Nation.
Good luck everyone. We look forward to seeing your clips.